: Re: [MPlayer-users] BUG: mencoder of pre5 crashes everytime

Stefan Sassenberg stefan.sassenberg at gmx.de
Thu Aug 26 09:38:28 CEST 2004

Martin Simmons wrote:

>   Stefan> Martin Simmons wrote:
>
>   >> Hi there,
>   >>
>   >> Very sorry for leaving it so long before replying.
>   >>
>   >> The maps output just seems to add to the mystery, because the memory looks OK
>   >> there and so I don't understand how the SIGSEGV can happen.  Unless gdb is
>   >> broken or I've misanalysed it, discrepancies like this can only be caused by a
>   >> bug in the OS or in the hardware.
>   >>
>   >> The up command confused the last register dump, so please post one more crash
>   >> with the gdb commands (assuming sad16_y2_mmx2 is the topmost function again):
>   >>
>   >> bt
>   >> disass $pc-32 $pc+32
>   >> info all-registers
>   >> disass sad16_y2_mmx2
>   >> shell cat /proc/NNNNN/maps
>   >>
>   >> __Martin
>   >>
>   >>

>   Stefan> Thanks, here you go.
>
> I'm still not sure what is happening here.  The latest crash displays the
> usually "good" register contents that fail to explain the SIGSEGV.  I will
> keep looking.
>
> Possibly your only hope for now is to reconfigure mplayer with --disable-mmx
> (or --disable-mmx2).  I've not tried that, but hopefully it will prevent
> sad16_y2_mmx2 from being called.
>
> __Martin

I'll try that, thank you.

Yesterday I recorded 2hrs from tv with a precompiled 1.0pre3 without
crash. Maybe you can tell from the differences between the versions
where the problem is located, though the precompiled maybe doesn't use
mmx2 code.

I can also download and test the 1.0pre4 or any other version if you
think it might help.

Stefan