[MPlayer-users] Best mencoder codecs and options foranimations/cartoons?

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Fri Aug 27 20:56:16 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 15:07 -0300, Pablo Morales wrote:
> I've read the vmax_b_frames=1 is not a good option to achieve good option
> when quality is a goal, am I wrong?

Many people abhor B-frames.  Empirically, I find the net result of B-
frames is positive, however you should be using vb_strategy=1 if you use
B-frames, IMO.

And with vb_strategy=1, you should use vmax_b_frames=2.  (This is a bug
that I mentioned a while ago that I don't think has been fixed yet:
vb_strategy=1:vmax_b_frames=1 will end up not using any B-frames at all,
while vb_strategy=1:vmax_b_frames=2 will use 1 B-frame between non-B-
frames when it decides to use them.)

Cheers,
Jason.