[MPlayer-users] Mplayer for Windows, Quicktime videos not playing audio.

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Wed Dec 1 00:08:59 CET 2004

> compn wrote:
>> quicktime audio codecs have to be in your windows/system32 dir
>> for them to work... (or winnt/system32)
>
> The mplayer quicktime codecs or apples?
>> this should hopefully fix your problem, otherwise we need an
>> mplayer -v file.mov full output to figure it out...
>> also try mplayer-cygwin at mplayerhq.hu for win32 mplayer help :)
>
> I'm not running under cgywin ;)
>
> --
> Daniel Jimenez <djimenez[at]pobox[dot]com>

I'll put money he's experiencing one of two things.
It's either he's using the Windows QuickTime libaries, which loath to
hand out access to audio data, or he's using the MPlayer libaries, but
is playing a newer version QuickTime file. Newer QuickTime files use an
audio encoding that MPlayer doesn't seem to be able to read (yet), let
alone a lot of other programs. Apple built a little trick into the
QuickTime libraries that they often don't hand out audio data either,
leading to major headaches if you ever want to transcode a QuickTime
file, or play it on a non-QuickTime player.