[MPlayer-users] encode2mpeg 0.3.1 possible bug but encoding OK

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Dec 1 20:52:48 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 08:09:59PM +0100, Nico wrote:
> Giacomo Comes wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:09:42AM -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> >

> >>And what is the reason for this to happen?
> >>

> >As already told, these messages can be ignored.
> >The mpeg file is OK.
> >I don't know why the messages are there.
> >Some time ago mencoder was not able to produce
> >"good" mpeg streams. At some point it was able to do it,
> >but it took some time for me to realize it. Because of
> >the presence of such messages, I was thinking there were still
> >problems. I was wrong. After I realised that it was possible to
> >create valid mpeg streams with mencoder I introduced
> >mpeg mode in encode2mpeg.
> >
> >There are other posibble "error" messages in mpeg mode like:
> >
> >Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!
> >

> this one may be harmless, or may be not; depends on how far apart they are
>
> >Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!
> >

> >All can be ignored.
> >
> no, this last one is an _critical_ error: it means that a SCR-based
> player like dvd standalones and appliances
> in general (that closely follow the mpeg standard) will never play that
> access unit (video or audio),
> so you will have freezes on one of the streams

Ok, then these errors are not armless. My question is:
What do I do?

For example this is a very simple mencoder command line that just encode
few seconds of the beginning of a DVD.
mencoder -o TEST.mpg dvd://1 -frames 100 -ofps 30000/1001
  -vf scale=720:480,harddup -oac copy -of mpeg -ovc lavc
  -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:aspect=16/9:vbitrate=7500:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=7500

I have plenty of:
Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!
Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!

and some

Warning: DTS to SCR delay is too small.

What is causing them?
How can avoid them?