[MPlayer-users] TV Aspect Ratio: 4:3

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Dec 3 22:08:06 CET 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 05:09:34AM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:05:09 -0500
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > -aspect ONLY makes sense with improperly-encoded movies!
>
> Which is what I assume he is talking about.

I don't think so. He said he wanted it to be default for ALL movies,
which will most certainly mess up playback of the majority of movie
files!

IMO his situation is this: He's playing movies on a widescreen tv or
monitor, and using -aspect 4/3 tricks mplayer into stretching these
(widescreen) movies to fullscreen so that they look right. But of
course this is stupid and only works if the movie is 16:9 to begin
with. The correct fix is -monitoraspect 16/9.

Rich