[MPlayer-users] playlist file syntax

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Dec 8 04:50:37 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:20:39PM -0800, Jessica Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The docs say that the playlist format is one file per line. So it doesn't
> seem to be possible to make a playlist file that includes a playtree.
> (Correct me if I'm wrong here.)  It would be useful to be able to specify,
> say
>
> { "song1.mp3" "song2.mp3" }
> { "song3.mp3" }
>
> in a playlist file.
>
> I've been thinking of modifying the source to expand the accepted syntax of
> a playlist file.  Is this something other people would be interested in?
> Any core developers want to comment on the likelihood of this patch being
> accepted?

it won't be accepted, because it makes it impossible to play a
playlist with a file named '{ "song1.mp3" "song2.mp3" }' in it!
there'd at least have to be an alternate format that you specify
somehow.

btw how is this useful? the only point of playtree is for assigning
options to groups of files, right? otherwise a playlist is just as
good...

rich