[MPlayer-users] help with subtitles

Jack lt at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 11 08:37:44 CET 2004

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

>I think I did what the documentation says

Almost.  Almost.

>I know nothing about the various subtitle formats. The one I have
>looks like this (this is the actual beginning of the file):
>

>{100}{300}Extras cu SubRip 1.14 \uffffi Verificat de CdinT|cdint at hotmail.com
>{301}{420}I deliver perfection...|and don't brag about it! :D
>{644}{718}Mozart!
>{961}{1030}Some text...
>etc.
>
>in a file called Amadeus.sub (not in English). Judging by the extension
>that should be VOBsub, but when I try

vobsub is an image based format.  This is obviously text based.

Mplayer automatically guesses the format of text subtitle files.  Just
use "-sub filename".  Then you should get the rest of the information
somewhere in the mplayer output.

If it doesn't work then, it's either a format mplayer doesn't support
(not likely), or there's something wrong with your font.

-jack