[MPlayer-users] Re: Can't play DV but can play mpeg2(DVD). Is this expected behavior

Michael Waters baobabb at rogers.com
Tue Dec 14 08:09:10 CET 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:37 +1300, Phil Bertram wrote:
> I have a 850mhz Duron, 384mb ram, S3 Trio 3D/2X 8mb AGP card. (hdparm -tT
> reports 18mb/s)
>
> I can not play DV without significant framedropping. (used win32 codecs as
> well as ffmpegs).
> However if I encode the same footage to mpeg2 using mjpegtools it will play
> well. (No scaling, just deinterlacing).
>
> Is this normal ?
>
> I imagine that the decoding of the mpeg2 would be more CPU intensive than DV.

I don't know the technical reasons but DV takes a lot more power to play
than dvd on my machine as well.  On an athlon xp 2800 (2088 mhz) with
matrox g400 using xmga, playing a 720x480 ntsc dv file with qdv, ffdv,
or libdv, cpu usage hovers just under 30% according to gkrellm.  Playing
a 1.33:1 dvd, cpu usage is sporadic and under 15%.

Michael