[MPlayer-users] unsupported format?

Damian Gatabria damian at gatabria.no-ip.com
Thu Dec 16 01:18:47 CET 2004

I tend to agree with both of you to some extent.
>From a user standpoint, this qtsvq3 issue seems
more of an annoyance than a strategy to help open
source codecs to improve.

I guess it's probably very hard to tell when a
given free codec is ready for this kind of testing,
but then again, being friendly to joe user has never
been the target for mplayer developers.

I think maybe an option would be to make mplayer check
for the existence of binary drivers and use them
by default IF they are found on the system, but hiding
the binary codec tarball a little on the webpage, so
less people download it and the open source version
gets more use...

maybe a link on the codec documentation "If you are
having problems decoding XXX format, see if downloading
this other codec helps" pointing to the location
of the win32 drivers..

Probably a dumb idea, just my 0,0000000002 cents.

Damian

Damian Gatabria <damian at gatabria.no-ip.com>