[MPlayer-users] Fedora Core1, nvidia drivers, MPlayer on the console - no video, audio-O.K.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Dec 17 12:31:02 CET 2004

Hi,
> I have started mplayer whith that comand:
> mplayer -vo xv videofile
> and it returns that message:
>
> vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!
> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

-vo xv can't work unless X is running and $DISPLAY is set correctly.

> Dropping just the "-vo cvidix" from the command
> "mplayer -vf format=uyvy -vc divxds -vo cvidix videofile.avi" allso didn`t worked

don't use -vf format=.. and -vc..., they should be unneccessary. For
console display you can try (-vo help for a list of drivers that were
compiled in in your version, I list all that are available in
principle).
1) -vo cvidix (works for me with GeForce3 and nVidia binary drivers).
2) -vo vesa
3) -vo svga
4) -vo fbdev or -vo fbdev2 or -vo directfb2

Most (all?) of these need root permissions or svgalib_helper.

5) -vo aa or -vo caca for ascii-art output.

Also read http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video.html

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger