[MPlayer-users] Sound Error

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Dec 17 19:51:15 CET 2004

Jose Sanchez wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:06:58 -0500, The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Jose Sanchez wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have just to install mplayer in SuSE 9.2.
>>>
>>> I can see DVD, but the sound don't work.
>>>
>>> Mplayer give me the next message: " Couldn't find matching
>>> filter/ao format!"
>>>
>>> I am using gmplayer.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> In order to potentially help you, we need at minimum the *exact*
>> command line you used (and/or, alternatively because you're using
>> GMPlayer, the exact state of your configuration options) and the
>> *exact* text output by the player - copy-and-paste in both cases,
>> not retyped, and with nothing snipped out.

> Ok, thank you.

You didn't provide the requested configuration information, but I
managed to figure something out anyway. It's not something very helpful,
but I never promised that.

> This is the output:

> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
> Cannot find codec 'dts' in libavcodec...
> ADecoder init failed :(
> ADecoder init failed :(
> Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through SP/DIF
> No accelerated IMDCT transform found
> hwac3: switched to DTS, 768000 bps, 48000 Hz
> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x400), ratio: 96000->192000 (768,0 kbit)
> Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm:hwac3 (DTS through SPDIF)

This seems fine, at least on the surface of it.

> Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/8bit...
> AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 48000 hz, big endian AC3
> AF_pre: 48000Hz 2ch AC3
> [AO OSS] Can't set audio device /dev/dsp to AC3 output, trying S16...
> AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian) (2 bps)
> Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/16bit...
> [format] Sample format big endian AC3  not yet supported
> [libaf] Reinitialization did not work, audio filter 'format' returned
> error code -2
> Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!

Okay, I'm not remotely an expert on audio (or even on MPlayer's handling
of it), but: from what I can see it looks like MPlayer needs - or thinks
it needs - to convert the audio from the DVD into a different format
before being able to play it on your hardware, and the audio filter
which it tries to use to do that does not support the format which needs
to be converted.

I don't have the technical background to have the wherewithal to help
you any further on this, but it's possible that someone else with more
familiarity with MPlayer internals may be able to figure out how you
might be able to get things to work.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.