[MPlayer-users] A/V Sync problems with MKV vs. OGM

Jim Darby jim at jimbocorp.uklinux.net
Sun Dec 19 12:32:56 CET 2004

Hi All,

Due to a disk failure I've just rebuilt everything and have been playing
with all the latest codecs out there.

I've encoded some material I collected from DVB using transcode into
MPEG-4 using XVid and Vorbis.

There are two ways I can merge the audio and video files into one
complete files: ogmmerge to produce an OGM and mkvmerge to produce an
MKV.

I notice that when I play the .MKV file back I have to give a -delay
-0.3 to get the A/V correct. I do NOT need to do this with the .OGM
file.

Any idea what is going on here? MPlayer is using the same backends (xv
and oss) for output and I can't see how the packaging should be
affecting it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jim.