[MPlayer-users] Cannot see gui

cothrige cothrige at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 19 20:00:31 CET 2004

I have been having a difficult time with the gui, which I only recently
decided to check out, and wonder if anyone else has experienced this.  I have
two machines, one with an old RIVA128 card and the other with an equally old
ATI Rage card (I am not usually big on graphics and so have never bothered to
upgrade them).  I recently put fresh installs of Slack 10.0 on both, so they
should be very much equal in most regards.  I also installed MPlayer on them
both as I usually do, only this time I included the gui.  On my main computer,
which uses the Nvidia card, I was not able to see the gui at all, though no
errors are reported.  Rather, I just get this mysterious black hole in the
exact shape of the gui.  It can be moved, and with a right click I get the
context menu that I would expect.  It also plays and operates normally, as far
as I can tell, however it is completely black and without any visible
details.I can remember trying to install this way a while back and having the
same experience.  On the other computer, that with the ATI card, everything works
fine and looks normal.  MPlayer is the only app which seems to do this, as
xmms and others are completely as would be expected.  Any ideas of why I am
running into this?

Patrick