[MPlayer-users] VCD aspect ratio

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Wed Dec 29 05:10:29 CET 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 02:21, Matthew W. Miller wrote:
> NTSC:
> -aspect 20:11 -vf (...,)crop=704:480,scale=352:360,expand=352:480(,...)

This doesn't look right to me. I suppose 360 and 480 should be 180 and 240.
An NTSC VCD is 352x240.

Also, Tommy, I recommend you only add filters (like hqdn3d - high quality
denoiser, etc.), if you want/need them, in front of the crop/scale/expand
filters, so these filters use as much of the input signal as possible (full
resolution filtering before you scale down).

Furthermore, I think cropping to a fixed value is wrong. You should use
cropdetect first, to determine the best crop dimensions to have as much
visual data as possible. After that you scale and, if you encode to a VCD,
expand to add black bars. No expansion offcourse if you encode to an MPEG-4
AVI.

--Ivo