[MPlayer-users] mplayer CVS 20040128 + ALSA 1.0.2 errors

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Feb 4 21:51:00 CET 2004

Zdenek Pizl wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> what do these messages mean?
>
>  alsa-control: mixer attach error: no such file or directory
>  alsa-space: xrun of at least 81.936 msecs, reseting stream
>  ALSA lib control.c:654:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL yA:
>
> those messages are printed periodically when I am trying to play a DVD. The
> playback is realy fu*king choppy.

I don't know about the others, but the "xrun" error usually indicates
that mplayer can't read the file quickly enough, and the audio buffer is
getting depleted. The usual fix is to add -cache=1024 or some other value.

Considering that you're using alsa 1.x, and if the xrun error always
occurs in conjunction with the other two, it's probably just an
indication of a bug in mplayer's alsa 1.x support (which hasn't been
around for very long). You should read:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html
and fill out a complete bugreport.

-Corey