[MPlayer-users] lossless codecs make bigger files than raw DV ?!

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 18:47:12 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:36:39PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

>> I don't suggest trying to make the defaults optimal, so much as
>> ease the load on developers (etc.) who have to keep making the same
>> suggestions over and over.
>>
>> For most options, which ones are better than others is indeed
>> highly debatable, but I've never heard anything which suggests that
>> trell has a downside (or even an alternative against which to
>> compete), aside from the increased CPU requirements. When there is
>> no doubt as to what is the more optimal choice, as seems to me to
>> be the case with trell, not making that choice the default strikes
>> me as slightly odd.
>>
>> Your point, however, stands, and your opinion on the matter is
>> rather more prestigious and hence credible than mine.
>
> Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I'm just going by 2 basic
> principles:
>
> 1. Default should be bare-bones minimal mpeg4 without fancy stuff.

This was the point to which I was referring, and I agree that it makes
sense.

> 2. If the default is _bad_ quality, newbies will have to rtfm and
>    learn how to encode properly. If the default is "mostly good"
>    newbies won't rtfm and then they won't crop or they'll use bogus
>    dimensions or they won't experiment with *cmp, mv0, 4mv, ...

This is elitist, and hence questionable...

...but I'm also elitist, and so can shrug it off without too much
difficulty. <grin>

My main objection to it is that from what I've seen they mostly don't
RTFM *anyway*, and often enough don't even realize how low what they're
getting is on the potential-quality scale...

--
       The Wanderer