[MPlayer-users] mencoder audio streams

Alexei Khlebnikov a.khlebnikau at sam-solutions.net
Fri Feb 6 11:35:18 CET 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:33:11 +0300
NeptunE <neptune at angarka.ru> wrote:

N> Hi. I've got a question about Fixing AVIs with broken index.
N> I've got a broken video with 3 audio channels. Is there any reason to
N> rebuild including all channels.
N> When I try this
N> # mencoder -idx lotr.2.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -o lotr.2.mod.avi
N> I get a file with only one (first) audio stream.

LOTR1 in Goblin translation? The headache of many russian linuxoids. ;))

Unfortunately, mencoder won't help you as it is not going to support writing
more than 1 audio track.

The bulletproof way is to use GPL-ed tool AVIMux-GUI (though it is
windows-based). Just load the file, adjust options if needed and save it.

Also you can try transcode (www.transcoding.org) package:

Way 1. Try to "split" the movie with avisplit into 1 big part. This should rebuild
the index.

Way 2. Copy video only pass-through (transcode -P 1) to separate file. Extract
audio tracks with tcextract to other separate mp3 files. Then add audio tracks
with avimerge. This will rebuild the index but may cause (caused in version  0.6.3,
unlikely to cause in versions > 0.6.10) A-V desync.

Also you can try to put the movie in another container than AVI: Matroska or OGM,
using mkvtools or ogmtools respectively.

Good luck!
Alexei.