[MPlayer-users] Why is it "Skipping frame!"s?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Feb 7 19:58:44 CET 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 06:09:32AM +0100, Amadeus wrote:
> > This will make the 2pass process basically worthless. In theory, you
> > _should_ be able to use -oac pcm during the first pass, but due to
> > horrible bugs in mencoder's a/v sync code, this will result in
> > slightly different frame skips/duplicates than with mp3lame, so it's
> > still bad. Basically, mencoder totally sucks on the inside; it's a
> > miracle that it roughly works most of the time. Wait for
> > mencoder-g2... :))))
>
> What about using mp3lame with variable bitrate. That is okay isn't it?

Yes, of course. Anything is ok as long as you do _exactly_ the same
during both passes. All the same encoding options (except vpass= :),
filters, audio options, seeking, etc. etc. etc. must be used. If
anything is different, the results will be bogus.

> mencoder G2 would be nice, but from what I have heard it won't be out
> before next year=(

Alas, yes...

> I hope that Vorbis is supported as audio codec!! =)

Vorbis-in-avi is impossible. Some win32 lamers have hacked it in, but
it's impossible to sync a/v with it there, so their movies suck really
bad. It would work if you did cbr vorbis, but cbr vorbis is worse than
vbr mp3 by far...

Rich