[MPlayer-users] Equivalent of -endpos in mplayer?

Philip M. White pwhite at mailhaven.com
Sun Feb 8 18:00:26 CET 2004

Hello, everyone;

I am trying to split a movie for a school project.  This movie contains
nudity, and the only way we can watch it at school is if those parts are
in some way removed.  Because I don't own video editing software, I
decided to use mplayer to play the movie in clips.  For example, if the
first nudity occurrence is 30 minutes into the movie and lasts 10
seconds, I'd do:

mplayer -ss 0 -endpos 30:00 movie.avi
sleep 10
mplayer -ss 30:10 -endpos <whatever> movie.avi

Notice that I am using -endpos here; until yesterday, I thought that this
parameter was present because I've used it in mencoder.  However, the
function of limiting playtime does not seem to exist in mplayer at all,
which is rather shocking to me.

Could anyone tell me how I can split this movie (preferably using just
mplayer) into segments specified in seconds?  Your help will make the
movie /Nineteen Eighty-Four/ available to the masses!  Thank you.

Philip