[MPlayer-users] Re: Equivalent of -endpos in mplayer?

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Mon Feb 9 02:27:05 CET 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:00:26AM -0600, Philip M. White wrote:
> Hello, everyone;
>
> I am trying to split a movie for a school project.  This movie contains
> nudity, and the only way we can watch it at school is if those parts are
> in some way removed.  Because I don't own video editing software, I

In which country are you living? Please tell so i can make sure i don't
accidentally send my kids to a school there :-)

> decided to use mplayer to play the movie in clips.  For example, if the
> first nudity occurrence is 30 minutes into the movie and lasts 10
> seconds, I'd do:
>
> mplayer -ss 0 -endpos 30:00 movie.avi
> sleep 10
> mplayer -ss 30:10 -endpos <whatever> movie.avi

AFAIK there is no -endpos in mplayer. You could hack something like this
using "-frames", but you have to carefully calculate the number of frames
for each clip.
Probably you are better off making separate avis out of movie.avi using
mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ss ... -endpos ... -o clip$NUM.avi movie.avi

> Could anyone tell me how I can split this movie (preferably using just
> mplayer) into segments specified in seconds?  Your help will make the
> movie /Nineteen Eighty-Four/ available to the masses!  Thank you.

Oh, innocent children who can't cope with 10 seconds of nudity shall
watch a film with such a heavy subject?
--
Stefan Seyfried