[MPlayer-users] x forwarded control

JQ mplayer at teahead.net
Mon Feb 9 21:09:45 CET 2004

Thank you for the replies.
This definitely helps.

I guess I meant run mplayer's xinterface remotely but have it stream the
vid locally out the vga port.

in any case, am i right in thinking i'll need X, etc on "A" (gmplayer)
in order to play through the vga port... and then I'd need control for
resizing the window or going fullscreen (which would then make more
sense to drop all the remote stuff and just control it locally)?

or is there some form of running mplayer from the commandline specifying
a resolution, refresh, etc.... straight to vga?

sorry if this is documented somewhere and i haven't found it.
TIA
Chon

Corey Hickey wrote:

>I'm not sure if I entirely understand what you mean, but you should be
>able to ssh into A from B and set $DISPLAY to the X server running
>locally on A. Like this:
>
>[A] ssh B
>...password...
>[B] export DISPLAY=:0.0
>[B] mplayer somevideo.avi
>
>Then you can control mplayer like normal over the ssh terminal.
>
>-Corey

D Richard Felker III wrote:

This is not what you want. It'll be way too slow running mplayer
remotely. Instead just use a terminal to control mplayer -- ssh into
the other computer and run mplayer without any x forwarding.

Rich