[MPlayer-users] VP6 support?

Tue Feb 10 16:10:07 CET 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Amadeus wrote:

A>I have read about the VP6 codec from On2, and read the tests that they
A>have provided. Judging from that, it should be better than WMV9. So I have
A>been wondering, is VP6 also better than mpeg4 for high/low bitrates
A>aswell?

VP6 is definitely much better than mpeg4, at least on low bitrates.
Download encoder from their site, try to encode, say, 400kbps video in
640x480, compare it with lavc's encoded mpeg4 and be amazed. Decoder has
also built-in intellegent postprocessing, for example it adds noise on
very low bitrate streams to improve visual quality and so on.

--

Vladimir