[MPlayer-users] convert (S)VCD's to VDR files using MEncoder

Michael Reinelt reinelt at eunet.at
Wed Feb 11 06:26:58 CET 2004

Hi Nico,

>>> VDR files are interleaved PES: a non-standard stuff made of mpeg-ps
>>> without Pack headers.
>>> mencoder generates mpeg-ps files with headers, so not what you want.
>>> I  think that VDR doesn't usually play those files, but maybe it evolved

> DVB  transmits in MPEG-TS format, and IMHO that is the only thing  that
> should be saved (because it's exactly what comes out of the card and of
> the drivers).
> Mpeg-PES isn't editable by any software and there are no tools (that I
> know of) to convert it to -PS, instead -TS files can at least be converted.

I know far too little about all this stuff, so I assume you are right.
Anyway - VDR can reindex and play the MPEG2-Files from MEncoder, so I'm
happy...

>> I couldn't find anything about this mbd=2 option, could you please
>> give me a documentation pointer?
>

> it's in the man page (man mencoder), at least with mplayer 1.0-pre3.

My fault. i'm using the CVS version, and forgot to specify '-dPA' on
'cvs updated' So he didn't update the DOCS correctly.

> :mbd=2:aspect=4/3:vpass=1:vbitrate=2500:vcodec=mpeg2video  and vrc_maxrate)
                 ^^^
>> as for the aspect, what happens if I get a (S)VCD in 16:9 format? (I
>> don't know if this is even possible..)
>
> it's possible ( use :aspect=16/9) , but how it's played depends on the
> player: some will show it correctly, others will show it in 4:3  aspect
> (because the "standard" states 4:3 if I remember correctly).

I meant if it's possible that a (S)VCD contains 16:9 material.

Thanks again for the mbd hint, this works fine now! I even converted a
DVD to a VDR-File yesterday, works great!

But there are still open questions:
- aspect: for the DVD I had to specify 16:9. Is there a way to find out
the 'source aspect', except from starting MPlayer or MEncoder, hitting
Ctrl-C and reading some of the debugging output? I'd need this value in
a script... Same goes for 'source fps' and 'source resolution' (to
detect NTSC material, which has to be recoded to PAL)

- when mencoding the DVD, I got thousends of errors like:
"Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!"
"Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!"
"Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 1148 is too little!"

What do they mean? Should I be worried?

bye, Michael

--
Michael Reinelt                                   Tel: +43 676 3079941
Geisslergasse 4                                   Fax: +43 316  692343
A-8045 Graz, Austria                          e-mail: reinelt at eunet.at