[MPlayer-users] MMS stream fallback

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 19:20:27 CET 2004

From what I understand if you pass mplayer an mms stream url it should try the
url and then if it fails it should fall back and try the same url, but with
mmst rather than mms

I have an example where this does not appear to be working..

mplayer
mms://rxns-rbn-sea03.rbn.com/ibmpdc/pdc/open/wmdemand/feb04/help_240X180.wmv

Will sit at Cache 0% for a long period, I have never waited long enough for it
to time out (over 1 min)

If I change the url to

mplayer
mmst://rxns-rbn-sea03.rbn.com/ibmpdc/pdc/open/wmdemand/feb04/help_240X180.wmv

the video will play.

The problem is, that the URL is being extracted from a file in the mms form
and I don't have an opportunity to change the url and even if I did, for some
sites this is not the correct thing to do. So can a fix be applied that when
the cache fill is 0% and it does not fill for 30 seconds that it cancels and
trys the mmst form?

I'm using mplayer CVS as of Feb 18, 04

Kevin