[MPlayer-users] Standard aspect ratios

Ville Saari vs at jerakeen.fipnet.fi
Thu Feb 19 09:26:37 CET 2004

Does anyone know what is the the exact aspect ratio of full pal or ntsc
frame? 4:3 of course (or 16:9 if we're talking about anamorphic widescreen),
but I mean what part of the frame must I measure to get those numbers?

MPlayer seems to use the full 720x576 frame (or 720x480 for ntsc) for
its aspect calculations at least when playing DVD:s, but some other
sources seem to indicate that the 4:3 aspect ratio should be applied
to 704x576 (or 704x480) pixel area. That would make the full frame to
have aspect ratio 15:11 or 1.363636:1.

I have a MiniDV camcorder that uses the same frame size and when I
measure its aspect ratio, I get 1.3668:1. That's much nearer to 1.363636
than 1.333333.

So which one is correct: 1.333333:1 or 1.363636:1?

--
 Ville