[MPlayer-users] Best quality universal format?...

Paul Simpson paul at realisestudio.com
Thu Feb 19 22:43:54 CET 2004

I think I'm allmost there.  Here's what I've done:

$ mencoder "mf://pics/*.tga" -mf w=720:h=576:fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
    // turn my .tga sequence into a mpeg4 .avi file (this plays fine in
windows media player as a divx4 movie)

$ avi2raw output.avi output.m4v
avi2raw - mpeg4ip version 1.0
54 video frames written

So far so good.

$ mp4creator -c output.m4v -rate=25 -H output.mp4

$ l -l output.*
-rw-rw----    1 paul     realise    373694 Feb 19 20:36 output.avi
-rw-rw----    1 paul     realise    370299 Feb 19 20:36 output.m4v
-rw-rw----    1 paul     realise    382009 Feb 19 20:39 output.mp4

I get a quicktime data corrupted err msg.

You mentioned the lavcopts bit_exect option.  I can't see that anywhere
- and I'm using
    MPlayer 1.0pre3-RPM-3.2.2

..this is where I get unstuck.  output.mp4 doesn't play in quicktime on
my windows box.

I've also tried:
$ ffmpeg -i output.m4v outputB.mp4 -vcodec mpeg4

This works!  But doesn't playback smoothly on Quicktime.  And is low
quality.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks again,

Paul