[MPlayer-users] trell + vbitrate

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Fri Feb 20 01:33:40 CET 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:26:53PM -0300, Pablo Morales wrote:

> With this parameters, mp`layers begins to rip, it reaches 1600, then it goes
> down to 1200 then rises again and stays betwen the range og 1560, 1600
> that's good, this happens  between the fists 5% of encoding, then, I do not
> why, it begins to decrease as los as 850, do no not why.

Minimum qscale lavc will use for any* frame with the default settings is 2.
If you set the bitrate high enough to saturate the video with the minimum
qscale frames, then the result is same as constant quantizer encoding with
vqscale=2. Any bitrate higher than that will change nothing.

So you are asking lavc to use more bits than it can. It compresses "too"
well. If you set vqmin=1, then you can make it use some more bits but
they get mostly wasted as the quality will not really improve much.

If you are downscaling from higher resolution source and really want to use
more bits, then downscale less.

*) Actually any non-b-frame.

--
 Ville