[MPlayer-users] Realmedia support?

Stephen Stocker lpar at par1.net
Sat Feb 21 02:38:08 CET 2004

>>   Hello,
>>
>>   I'm wondering what's happened with Realmedia support for MPlayer?
>> I've
>>   posted several messages pertaining to the recent problems with some
>>   sites' files, but haven't heard anything. I can't post a bug
>Please be patient, none of us work on MPlayer full time.

  I know, and my apologies if I sounded impatient. The time spent on
  this great application are *greatly* appreciated. :)

>> report,
>>   since in all cases that I've seen, there's virtually no information
>>   which gives a clue as to what codec these files use.
>>
>>   The latest one (npr.org) *does* show a codec identifier, but from
>> what
>>   I can tell, I don't think the information is correct. If necessary,
>No, it's not.

>>   can upload the file, though it appears that all NPR real files are
>>   broken. This is the same situation I encountered with
>These are weird files.

  I'm glad I'm not completely stupid, I thought maybe I was just
  overlooking something!

>File format is RM, but they contain a version 3 audio section, normally
>found only in .ra files. RM files usually have audio sections with
>version 4 or 5. It's the first time i see such kind of files.
>Audio section version 3 is used only with 14_4 codec, if you look in
>the file with an editor you'll find a fourcc "lpcJ".
>I'll try to add support for them.

  Again, my thanks. I just wasn't sure if anybody noticed my posts.

>>   http://www.cbsnews.com, who changed something in their Real file
>>   format. I've been using MPlayer successfully with Realmedia ever
>Please post url of a non working file.

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/2004/02/18/video600899.rm

  I'm not even sure what this is, I just grabbed a random file from
  their site. These are strange, until I have around half of the file,
  all it reports is an audio stream. After that, it reports the video
  stream as well, but MPlayer more or less sits there squawking and
  chirping, with no video. I'd never seen this, but it's not a change in
  MPlayer, as I tried an old version I had backed up. And CBS's video
  archives are still the old format and play perfectly. Weird!

  	Take care,
	Steve