[MPlayer-users] can't open audio device on 1.0pre3

luis jure ljure at multitel.com.uy
Mon Feb 23 01:32:01 CET 2004

hi, thanks for your answer.

> Looks like using OSS...

one of the many things i tried before posting to the list is compiling with
--disable-oss option, just in case. i always use alsa, good support for my
card.

> Looks like trying to use ALSA but failing (not configured correctly?)
> Have you tried using -ao oss ? Maybe 0.91 wasn't built with alsa enabled
> and thus used OSS... Can you play anything at all using alsa? (try aplay
> somefile.wav).

i'm a composer and i use my computer mainly for audio. getting alsa working
properly is my priority number one. when i said in my previous post that
sound is working perfectly well in my system i just wanted to make it short,
but what i meant is that i can reproduce audio files in all formats (wav,
aiff, au, ogg, mp3, different sample rates, number of channels, sample
lengths, etc), not only using aplay but with dedicated software as well,
like snd, audacity, csound, timidity, etc. BTW, i recompiled both 0.91
and 1.0pre3 just to be sure, using different ./configure options. results
are the same always.

> By the way, have I missed something in your post? I couldn't find any
> refernece to mplayer being unable to open the audio device, just that
> alsa could not play 48Khz,16bit stereo audio.

you're right. if i invoke the command "mplayer somefile.avi" i get the
message i posted before. if i invoke "gmplayer" instead, and then try to
open a video file, the console prints this:

Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 48000 hz, little endian signed int
AF_pre: 48000Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...

the "Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound." part also appears
on a pop-up window.

in short, there's something wrong with the "format Signed 16-bit
(Little-Endian) are not supported by hardware" message i quoted in my
previous mail. both my hardware (audiophile 24/96) and my software (alsa
0.9.6) are perfectly capable of playing all standard sample rates from 8 to
96 KHz, and sample lengths from 8 to 24 bits, both mono and stereo.

thank you again for your time.

best,

lj