[MPlayer-users] Scrubbing an mpeg4 movie...

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller at columbus.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 08:44:12 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:09:32PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:49:14PM +0000, Stephen Mollett wrote:
>> On Monday 23 February 2004 15:47, Paul Simpson wrote:
>> > Does anyone know any good settings/tips that will allow me to
>> > createa an mpeg4 movie that can be scrubbed forwards/backwards than
>> > the deafult settings allow?
>> If you want _maximum_ scrubbability, you're best off using a format
>> like MJPEG, where _every_ frame is a keyframe. ... For _improved_
>> scrubbability, you could simply decrease the keyframe interval with
>> the keyint=<x> libavcodec option.

Well, you could use keyint=1, making every frame a keyframe.  I don't
recommend it.

DVDs and VCDs get O.K. video quality from equivalents to keyint=12 or 15
or 18.  Perhaps you could set keyint to the same or close to the frame
rate (typically 24, 25, or 30), which at least allows finer seeking than
the default keyint=250.

>WTF does this word "scrub" come from???

Apparently it refers to gradually dragging the position marker left or
right to rapidly skip through a movie a bit at a time:

http://www.xvsxp.com/applications/video/

I suppose the analogy is to dragging a scrubber across a surface.
--
Matthew W. Miller <mwmiller at columbus.rr.com>      MPlayer does not suck.