[MPlayer-users] Re: Chroma interpolation

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 27 21:45:40 CET 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:32:12PM +0100, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Ville Saari wrote:
>
> > Is this a deficiency of the G400 hardware or is it something
> > that can be fixed?
>
> As Richard said it's probably a hardware problem.
>
> FWIW, I personally prefer ATI hardware when it goes to video for their
> excellent overlay scaler. :-)
> NVIDIA seems to have a history for sucky chroma scaling too, don't know if
> that's fixed with newer cards.
> I would have expected Matrox to be as good as ATI though.

Yes, well keep in mind the Matrox cards are VERY old by today's
standards. Their strong point is solid support (except the broken
linux 2.6 matroxfb -- has anyone fixed this yet?!??!?!) by the
software, which was a result of releasing full technical
documentation, and the actually-working TVout -- not the
latest-and-greatest scaler quality.

Rich