[MPlayer-users] suggestion

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri Jan 2 01:53:40 CET 2004

> Yes, it is. Most file formats don't even have a sense of frame
> number. And even then, seeking is not exact (because you can only
> seek to keyframes) so having a "seek to frame" would just suggest a
> false sense of exactness. If you _do_ happen to have a file where
> exact frame seeking is possible, just compute the time (in seconds,
> based on framerate) of the frame you want and use -ss.

Would it be possible to work around the I frame limit (in any other way
than decoding the entire file into something huge), by having mplayer
seek to the previous i frame, and decoding every P and B and what not
up to the requested seek. Possibly with a
-iwant-seek-precision-not-speed option to enable it... I'm guessing
this wouldn't be doable in G1, or it'd been done already... So any
ideas on whether this will be something we'll enjoy in G2? :)