[MPlayer-users] dumpstream suggestions

Torinthiel torinthiel at wp.pl
Fri Jan 2 23:06:56 CET 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 07:24:55PM +0100, Hakon Gunsen wrote:

> Hello!
> Here are some suggestions for improving the dumpstream feature.
>
> 2)  I have recorded a stream, but there is some redundancy before and
> after the relevant content. So I'm interested in cutting those outer
> parts. If the -ss flag could work also with -dumpstream (currently it
> is ignored) and if #3 here is also implemented, it would be fairly
> easy to achieve this.  I have a hunch you'd say mencoder is better
> suited for this task, but currently it cannot output only audio.
> Besides it feels more safe with -dumpstream as it is not able to
> recoding and thus giving quality loss.

Try making a named pipe (mknot pipe_name p), use mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy
-o pipe_name -ss file.avi and mplayer -dumpstream pipe_name. Could work.

> 3)  There should be a way to stop a dumpstream at a certain time, even
> if it has not reached its end.  For example, I record a program from a
> 24h live stream on the net while I'm not at the computer. Then I need
> to stop it at some of course. Only way I know is to run an "at" cron
> job to do "killall mplayer". But there is a problem if I have two
> recordings at the same time. Then the other recording will be killed
> too, even though it's just the first one that's supposed to quit.
> So I think there needs to be something like -endpos in mencoder. For example:
>   $ mplayer stream -dumpstream -quit-at 19:30:05
> or
>   $ mplayer stream -dumpstream -quit-after 30:05
> I assume the latter is to prefer, as it's necessary to rely on filled
> time on the clip rather than just the clock, because otherwise
> rebuffering would eat from the stated recording time.

Well, you can always run mplayer in background, check it's PID and tell
at to run "kill PID_you've_just_found" at a specified time. Or run
"sleep 30m && kill PID" in the background. Yes, it is a workaround but it
works.

But even better would be to write a control app and control MPlayer via
the slave interface - read DOCS/tech/slave.txt

And as I see it this is one of the reasons for slave mode. And adding
-quit-at or sth would add some checking which would soon add up to quite
some time, so I don't see it coming into MPlayer's code.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)wp(dot)pl