[MPlayer-users] Re: How to play a M$ media player 9 streaming movie...

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun Jan 4 21:26:49 CET 2004

søn, 04.01.2004 kl. 17.17 skrev Steven Shiau:

> Nico:
> Thanks, now I see how to play it. Another problem is how can I register
> the mms:// protocol to Mozilla in Linux ? Although I can write a script
> to find the url and stream it. But It's will be easier for others to
> play mms:// using Mplayer if we can register the mms:// in mozilla. User
> can just press the link in that website (http://video.mlc.edu.tw), and
> the mplayer automatically play the mms url in that javascript file.

Dunno if this helps, I'm a newbie.

I only use mplayer (Linux RedHat RHEL 3, Mozilla 1.4.1, Gnome 2 on a
Compaq Presario laptop!) to avoid having to boot f¤&!# Windows XP just
to see my favorite 20-minute news program every weekday. I compiled
(*CVS*, important) mplayer, gmplayer - and mplayer plugin for Mozilla.

The mplayer plugin (for me it goes into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin) does
what you want, if you have a broadband  connection (get it from
http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/index.html, there's a HOWTO there
too). I have a 56k2 modem connection, and the plugin as supplied is
useless - doesn't respect all the mplayer parameters and no-one on this
list seems to care or know anything about it. Though while it's running,
you can go to a command line and see how it's calling mplayer (ps -efw |
grep mplayer) and with what parameters, so you can copy these to some
text file somewhere. It has a config file (using the *compiled
sourcecode, not the rpm or apt or whatever*, which probably go to /etc)
/usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf or
~/.mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf and you can put what's in the HOWTO -
nothing else - into that. But the rest that you want, you can put into
/usr/local/etc/mplayer/config or ~/.mplayer/config - including bandwidth
and player display axes.

Now everything works as I want - and does what you want ;) My two config
files are below (keep in mind that if you use the gmplayer GUI, you'll
have to have a lot more in config for the GUI). Neither has anything to
do with mplayer.conf.

HTH,

--Tonni

mplayerplug-in.conf

# Write your default config options here!
vo=xv,x11
ao=esd,oss
download=0
dload-dir=$HOME/.mplayer/download
keep-download=0
noembed=1
cache=512
enable-real=0 # I use the RealPlayer9 utility for that,
	        # Mozilla helper app
enable-wm=1
enable-qt=1
enable-mpeg=1

config

# Write your default config options here!
bandwidth=37000
x=300
y=200
zoom=1