[MPlayer-users] libdv encoding

Mathias Herberts Mathias.Herberts at iroise.net
Sun Jan 4 22:39:24 CET 2004

Hi,

I have archives of my DV files lying around in XviD format. All AVI
movies play exactly like the original DV tapes.

I have crashed a particular tape and would like to regenerate a DV file
from the archive XviD.

I am using the following mencoder command :

	mencoder -ovc libdv -oac pcm -o foo.dvavi foo.avi

The resulting file is just plain BAD, it looks way darker than its XviD
counterpart and I just cannot get it right.

One thing that I find weird is that mencoder complains about not finding
the right colourspace and forces a scale filter even though the XviD
movie is already in 720x576:

This file was encoded with libavcodec build 4669
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 5 -> 4

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar YV12 to Packed YUY2 using C

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mathias.

PS: and yes I tried dvvideo from libavcodecs but it crashes on my Mac
under Panther.