[MPlayer-users] Terrible visual effect, please review

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 6 21:57:31 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:48:06PM +0100, Nico wrote:
> Hi,
> I uploaded in incoming a file that I called Interlace.m2v that shows a
> terrible (and more and more frequent lately)
> artefact: a kind of diagonal bending in area of little contrast.
> It's as if the scene was recorded from behind a cellophan.
> I guess it's due to interlacing, but if not sorry for the wrong name I
> gave to the file.
>
> None of the deinterlacing filters is any good in such cases.
> How can I eliminate it?

The effect isn't interlacing, but aliasing. It's caused by improper
digital sampling (either during original filming, if a digital camera
was used, or when digitizing from film to dvd), roughly when someone
tries to keep more detail than the resolution is capable of holding.
I don't know any way to repair this after it's been done. Sorry.

Rich