[MPlayer-users] Walmart music download service & MPlayer

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Wed Jan 7 04:44:28 CET 2004

> > BTW, does anybody care to wax lyrical on the merits of the ogg
> > format?
> > Like, why should I use ogg rather than mp3?

> You can get the same audio quality with a smaller filesize.
> there's really no reason that I know of to *not* use it.

Basically yes, Ogg makes MP3s obsolete.  There is one other benefit of using
Ogg, however - because the RIAA type people are are so slow to react to
change, they're still stuffing around in the world of MP3 - and most people
who are likely to get caught have already started using Oggs instead, so
because they're not sharing any MP3s, the RIAA doesn't seem to notice them...

Well, that, and the fact that many of them don't use mainstream file sharing
programs (like Kazaa) and instead opt for lesser known ones, which the RIAA
doesn't bother checking (or doesn't know how to.)

Cheers,
Adam.