[MPlayer-users] video capturing + streaming server

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Wed Jan 7 04:50:08 CET 2004

> has anyone tried to use mplayer/mencoder to capture from a tv tuner
> card and stream it out via internet ?

Well, it's not quite what you want, but I have captured digital TV video and
multicasted it over a LAN to watch it on another computer, but given that it
runs at over 1MB/sec you'd have to do some serious compression first - and to
do it in realtime, you'd probably need quite a powerful computer.

> quality does not really matter, but i want to be able to watch tv
> from a foreign computer.

The quality would be limited to the Internet upstream speed on the computer
with the tuner.  Once you know that you can work out what codecs you can use
(e.g. here in Australia I'm limited to 16k/sec upload, which is barely enough
to even send audio, so I wouldn't have a hope ;-))

Cheers,
Adam.