[MPlayer-users] mpeg4 encoding result bitrate

Tue Jan 13 07:46:23 CET 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Mark Williams (MWP) wrote:

MWM>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
MWM>Hi all,
MWM>
MWM>Ive just compiled/installed 1.00b3.
MWM>Through a bit of googling and searching of this mailing list im using:
MWM>
MWM>-lavcopts
MWM>vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$BITRATE:vhq:trell:mbd=2:vmax_b_frames=1:v4mv:vb_strategy=0:vlelim=0:vcelim=7:cmp=2:subcmp=2:precmp=2:predia=1:dia=1:vme=4:vpass=1
MWM>
MWM>Using this though, mencoder seems to be ignoring the bitrate im
MWM>specifying.
MWM>For example, i specified 700kbit, and mencoder produced an avi
MWM>avging ~1600kbits/sec (2pass).
MWM>
MWM>What am i doing wrong?

Well, firstly you should remove vhq option - you are using newer "mbd=2"
instead. Second, using vb_strategy=0 and vme=4 is useless, this is
default. Also I'm not sure that you are improving quality by specifying
predia & dia options, you should check it.

After those changes (also without them) the above string works for me,
but I'm using mplayer 1.0pre4 & cvs libavcodec. Are you sure you are
actually encoding video, you need to use "-ovc lavc" instead of "-ovc
copy"? Btw, in future always report complete command line.

--

Vladimir