[MPlayer-users] Problems with certain filetypes

Ben Nemec cybertron at flashmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:50:56 CET 2004

Hi,
  I'm having some trouble with using MPlayer to play certain filetypes.
Whenever I try to play variable rate mp3's, dvd's or quicktime movies,
MPlayer returns the wrong length in the info from the -identify switch.  This
isn't a huge problem as it still plays these files fine, but my problem is
that I'm using a gui that I wrote to control MPlayer, and it gets confused if
it doesn't know the correct length of the file it's playing.  I'm not so
worried about the var. rate mp3's because I sort of found a workaround for
that and I can easily re-encode them anyway.  QT and DVD movies are a little
more of a problem because I don't want to have to re-encode every video I try
to play.  My specific problem with each is that .mov files report as having a
length of 0, and DVD's as about half an hour to an hour shorter than they
should be.  If anyone knows of a fix or a workaround for this I would love to
hear it.  TIA.

-Ben