[MPlayer-users] MPEG-1 Framedropping

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 22 17:11:11 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:37:34AM +0100, Thomas Frank wrote:
> I have a temporal adapted MPEG1-file (eg. I cut out all B-Frames).
> My problem now is, that MPlayer plays the video too fast. Is that a
> problem of my implementation of the video-adaptor or does the player
> just ignore the time_code in the GOP-Header.

This can't work. AFAIK the GOP header only has the timestamp for the
beginning of the GOP, not each frame, so the frame timestamps have to
be computed by counting frames in between. Thus they'll all be wrong
if you remove frames. MPlayer _might_ be able to start correcting at
the beginning of the next GOP, but probably not enough, and even if it
did the playback would be very choppy.

To do this correctly you'd have to change the framerate in the headers
and drop an appropriate selection of B frames to give the correct
framerate you selected.

Rich