[MPlayer-users] Mencoder Parameters

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 22 20:01:50 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:20:09PM -0300, Pablo Morales wrote:
> Is it sane to play with vbitrate and  vqscale at the same time?, or do I
> have to use only one of them?

No, it's not sane. The two are mutually exclusive. Bitrate is
controlled by adjusting the quantizer, so you can't use a constant
quantizer and bitrate control at the same time.

> If I use vqscale=2, Ive got an avi file of about 2GM with good quality , but
> if I include the vbitrate parameter, the size decrement.

The main problems are that you're not scaling to a reasonable size,
and not using the best options (like trell). Also the denoise3d filter
can help very much!

Rich