[MPlayer-users] Encoding issues.

avery lewis avery_i_lewis at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 00:29:45 CET 2004

Hey guys,

I'm rather new to the encoding scene, but I've RTFM'd a few times over now,
and though I'm not getting everything, I get enough to get by..

But I've got some issues.  :)

I'm encoding animation using lavc, and I'll give you one of my example
cmdlines here:

mencoder dvd://1 -alang en -o /encode/output/ohpain_1.avi -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1000 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:vol=3
-vop pp=(linblenddeint or mediandeint or 0x2000)

Here's the problem I'm getting...

If I encode at too high a bitrate (over 800) I get serious artifacts but a
very nice picture quality.  Deinterlacing seems to be perfect.  I don't know
how to describe the artifacts exactly.. they usually happen when a screen
goes from something to nothing (black out before commercials, etc).  It's
sort of like what's described as freezed frames on
(http://www31.brinkster.com/kaiousama/artifacts.htm) except that it only
stays up for a second, and then goes away.

However.. should I encode at a LOWER bitrate than 800, the major artifacts
go away and I'm left with what's referred to as ringing (at least on
http://www31.brinkster.com/kaiousama/artifacts.htm)

I'm really at a loss here.. I'm using lavc, but I've also tried xvid (which
is way worse), and ffmpeg (equally bad).  Filesize isn't so much as issue,
I'm willing to take files up to 200Mg on 22 minutes of encoded animation.
I've tried variable bitrate, with no success.  Is the "perfect encode"
unattainable?  Am I chasing a dream?

Help!  :)
-Avery