[MPlayer-users] Cannot play WMA9 with mplayer?

m.mohr at laposte.net m.mohr at laposte.net
Fri Jan 23 05:52:17 CET 2004

I am having the exact problem described here:

http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2004-January/041452.html

I have done the modification to codecs.conf and come up with the same
error message.  The file I am trying to play was obtained here:

mms://pubintwm.fplive.net/pubint/cartalk/200403/CT0403-01.wma

You cannot stream this url for some reason as-is.  You have to follow
these instructions (basically specify mmst:// instead of mms://):

http://zebra.fh-weingarten.de/~maxi/html/mplayer-users/2003-09/msg01050.html

I used mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile $num.wma <url> which will save the
audio to disk, but that doesn't help me play it.  I can play the dumped
file in Windows Media Player on my XP machine, so I know it contains
audio...

Has this ever been resolved?

I appreciate any reply.  Thank you for your time.

-Michael