[MPlayer-users] A newbie to Mplayer and redhat needs help

John Richard Smith BAGSOFCHOICE at oldtolley.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 15:51:41 CET 2004

Menanet wrote:

> Hi Guys I have installed Mplayer on redhat9 tried to operate VCD and
> DVD and I find a message that it is not able to open the video output
> device (-vo)
> and another message that has something to do with not able to open
> device on /dev/dvd
>
> Thanx
> Ehab

"not able to open device on /dev/dvd"
means something is up with your dvd drive as a system device.

In a terminal,
ll /dev/dvd   see what it says.

Is your drive scsi-emulated in RH9 ?
If is is you probably need to create a link between /dev/dvd to
/dev/scd0, or /dev/scd1, as the case may be.

Take a look inside /etc/fstab and see how your dvd is set up.

John

--
John Richard Smith
BAGSOFCHOICE at oldtolley.fsnet.co.uk