[MPlayer-users] Re: Free audio codec for .AVI files ?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 27 20:20:46 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:10:54PM +0100, Alexander Noé wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >>Complete bullshit. Look at some matroska or OGM files in a hex editor,
> >>or just read the specs,
> >>or use the EBML Tree Viewer included in AVI-Mux GUI for matroska.
> >>

> >s/block/page, same dead. I've written an ogg parser so I think I
> >know...
> >

> Really bad that a OGM page is a rough equivalent of a matroska cluster
> (a very small one though),
> while a packet is a matroska block....knowing some OGG won't help you
> when conjuring up
> <censored> about matroska....

Fact1: checksums waste a LARGE amount of space in ogm files,
specifically 4 bytes per page. And pages are small.

Fact2: matroska contains checksums which serve absolutely no purpose
and which waste _some_ space. How much is irrelevant. It's stupid that
they're there to begin with.

If you object to these, please explain why. Otherwise shut up.

Rich