[MPlayer-users] Cannot playback ASX file

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jan 28 00:04:06 CET 2004

Mustafa Jamil wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I followed the instructions and installed the win32
> codecs before compiling MPlayer.  However, I am still
> unable to playback video from the first ASX file I
> downloaded
> (http://disneyshorts.toonzone.net/years/1943/derfuehrersface.html).
>
> Here's what mplayer reports on the shell:
> Font /home/mjamil/.mplayer/font/font.desc loaded
> successfully! (206 chars)
>
> Playing /home/mjamil/tmp/derfuehrersface.asx
> ASF file format detected.
> VIDEO:  [VDOM]  240x176  24bpp

That uses vdo, which doesn't seem to be supported. The codec comes in an
exe, which is at:
http://disneyshorts.toonzone.net/codecs/vdo.exe

I extracted the necessary dll:
http://fatooh.org/files/vdodec32.dll

I would upload it to mplayerhq ftp, but I get "553 Could not create
file" for some reason.

Note that just having the DLL doesn't make it work - support for it must
be added to mplayer, and I don't know how to do that.

-Corey