[MPlayer-users] xv blue window with hardware overlay

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jan 28 06:00:47 CET 2004

Every so often when I start mplayer instead of seeing video shown on the
hardware overlay, all I get is a blue screen. It's as if the overlay
stops working completely. I can use -vo xv:port=xxx to specify use of
one of the other xvideo ports (then I get tearing, of course, but
otherwise it works fine).

The most reliable way I can reproduce this is to play one of the huge
demo wmv files from microsoft, such as:
http://hdshowcase.microsoft.com/imax/Coral_Reef_Adventure_1080.exe
(don't worry, it's only a self-extracing zip file)
If I play the file once, it works fine. Sometimes I can play it two or
three times. Sooner or later, though, all I get is a blue screen.

My only recourse to clear it up, so far, is to close all X servers and
reload the nvidia module.

Since I'm using the binary nvidia drivers, it may be unrealistic to hope
that the problem will be fixed. What I would like, however, would be
some method to "reset" the overlay. Does anybody know how to do that?

Thank you,
Corey