[MPlayer-users] nvidia/cvidix "Can't find chip" -- NOVIRUS

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Jan 31 13:00:38 CET 2004

> So mplayer -vo cvidix -nocolorkey without previous running mplayer -vo xv
> gives no image
> mplayer -vo cvidix -nocolorkey after running mplayer -vo xv should give
> garbled image?
> Please always use -nocolorkey -vf scale=640:480 with the vidix drivers for
> your test

Ah, now I have it working (see below):

> to avoid problems caused by bad alignment and bad colorkey.
> Did you get this garbled image without applying the patch or was there no
> image at all
> with the same tests?
>

> Sascha

Actually, it seems that simply switching to a text console and back is
all that is needed to make xvidix show something (garbled or otherwise).
My running mplayer -vo cvidix was just incidental.

After further testing, the results seem to be the same for me with or
without the patch.

# mplayer -vo xv
result: works fine

# mplayer -vo xvidix
result: green screen

# mplayer -nocolorkey -vo xvidix
result: black screen

# mplayer -vf scale=640:480 -nocolorkey -vo xvidix
result: (bigger) black screen

<switch to text console, then back to X>

# mplayer -vo xvidix
result: garbled video

# mplayer -nocolorkey -vo xvidix
result: garbled video

# mplayer -vf scale=640:480 -nocolorkey -vo xvidix
result: works fine :)

# mplayer -vf scale=640:480 -vo xvidix
result: works fine :)

<switch to text console>

# mplayer -vf scale=640:480 -nocolorkey -vo cvidix
result: no video displayed

I meant to mention: I add vga=extended to my kernel boot parameters, for
higher resolution text. I don't know if that changes anything for cvidix.

Thanks again,
Corey