[MPlayer-users] libpostproc and undefined fast_memcpy

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Thu Jul 1 03:53:31 CEST 2004

Hi !

I'm compiling MPlayer-20040630 (latest cvs snapshot) like this:

./configure --enable-shared-pp
make

...on a P4 box running fedora core 2. It's a single processor, but
hyperthreading is on, so it thinks it's SMP (I'm running the smp
kernel).

Anyway, the point of  --enable-shared-pp is that I'd like to use
libpostproc.so with another package (ffmpeg).

Trouble is, I'm getting an undefined symbol fast_memcpy in
libpostproc.so:

[somlo at hedwig MPlayer-20040630]$ objdump -T libavcodec/libpostproc/libpostproc.so | grep fast_memcpy

00000000      D  *UND*  00000000              fast_memcpy

The mplayer binary may very well be using fast_memcpy successfully,
but the libpostproc.so library can't be linked from any other app !

On the other hand, when I compile like this:

./configure --enable-shared-pp --disable-fastmemcpy
make

fast_memcpy goes away, and we get the regular GLIBC memcpy routine:

[somlo at hedwig MPlayer-20040630]$ objdump -T libavcodec/libpostproc/libpostproc.so | grep memcpy

00000000      DF *UND*  00000027  GLIBC_2.0   memcpy

Now, is there something the MPlayer devs could do to fix this, or
maybe make --disable_fastmemcpy the default behavior and replace it
with a flag that would --enable_fastmemcpy explicitly instead -- for
those  people who know what they're doing ? :)

I've heared a bunch of rumors about how the ffmpeg devs have a forked
copy of libpostproc in their CVS version -- it would be a pity to have
all this effort duplicated. (I'm really worried about having ffmpeg
and mplayer supply conflicting versions of libpostproc.so ).

Thanks much for any help with this !

Gabriel